Monday, November 29, 2010

Part 2: Last European Vacation- Prague

Early in the morning on Friday, the 26th, my parents and I left to go to Prague. Prague was one of the places that I really wanted to visit while in Europe because I've heard a lot of great things about it and it is part of my family heritage. (I also wanted to go to Ireland to honor the Irish in me but was told by an Irish man at my hostel in Munich that this time of the year wasn't a good time to go up there.) My mom really wanted to go since her father is from there, and between the two of us, we were able to convince my dad that we should go.

On our first day in Prague we just simply walked around to see what was in the area, but first we stopped by a great Czech restaurant to eat lunch. For lunch I had a beef broth, chicken, potatoes, bread dumplings, and a Czech beer. SOO tasty! The bread dumplings tasted pretty similiar to my Baba's (grandma) dumplings so I was in heaven. My family and I enjoyed this restaurant so much that we went back for a second time the following day. Night quickly fell upon us as we were walking around the city and before we knew it we were ready to head back to the hotel due to the coldness. For dinner, we decided to eat at our hotel because they were offering a special at their French cuisine restaurant. We'd be able to order as many options as we wanted individually from a selected menu and have house drinks for 990 CZK, or about $50 for each person. At the time my parents and I did not fully understand the conversion rate (I understood more than them, of course). I was in heaven, and by the end, we got a good deal out of it. I think I went through 3 starters, 2 soups, 4 entrees, 1 dessert, and 4 glasses of various wine. Before you react, it is crucial to know that the portions were smaller than normal. I was able to order the food in any order that I wanted and as many times as I wanted. It may have been the best food I've had during my whole time in Europe. To top off our night, my parents got our room upgraded to a suite for free because they thought there wouldn't be enough room for all 3 of us to sleep comfortably in our smaller-than-normal double bed room. (All the beds in Europe are small so a double size bed is really just like a little wider than a twin). It was very helpful that my dad has special points with his frequent use of Sheraton hotels for business!



On Saturday we took a private tour to see the sights of Prague. We visited the Prague Castle (and other buildings within the complex like St. Vitus Catheral), Charles Bridge, Old Town Square, and Wenceslaus Square. The mosaic stained glass windows at St. Vitus are beautiful! They are the best that I've seen while over here. It was really cool to see where St. Wenceslaus is buried since that is the Catholic church I was brought up in throughout my childhood. On Sunday, my mom and I did what we know best; we shopped. We made a lot of souvenir purchases; it was a little hard to pack them all into our luggages. Possibly the most exiciting part about our Sunday was getting a white chocolate mocha at Starbucks. Rome doesn't seem to have any (not that I have found), and they were everywhere in Prague. I was overly excited to drink it and made me ache for America a little more.



Overall, Prague is a beautiful town. I'm curious to know if I would enjoy it more during nice weather. It was quite cold the whole time we were there. We even got to see their first snow fall of the season, which typically doesn't happen until January. I also think I would have enjoyed it more if I had gone at the beginning of my travels. At this point I am just simply burnt out. Everything looks the same and means the same thing. It is a place that I definitely want to visit again, though.

I'm counting down the days until I leave to go back to America. Only 19 to go! I'm excited and ready to be back. But at the exact same time I'm sad to be leaving such a great place. Wandering around in Omaha or Ames just isn't the same as wandering around in Rome. :-) This semester went by quickly, and I know that next semester, my last semester of college, will go by just as quickly. My plan for after college is to obtain an interior design related job. I'm open to moving anywhere at the moment, so you should talk to your friends and see if they'd be able to help me out! :-) Getting a "big girl job" will be an exciting chapter in my life, so needless to say, I'm really looking forward to it. Until then, I'll just continue to enjoy and embrace these last college moments that are flying before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment