Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Settling in Rome

Yesterday, Katie and I arrived in Rome-- two hours later than when we were supposed to. We had taken the night train from Paris to Rome. It was a pretty decent train ride, and I was able to sleep for awhile; however, it was annoying that we did not get updates as to why our train was running late. We were out of the train station within three minutes, in a taxi, and on our way to the housing office. Checking in was fairly quick and simple; we were soon at our apartment.

My apartment is nice, better than I expected. There's a kitchen, bathroom, living room, and two bedrooms for four people. Shortly after Katie and I put our stuff away and did a load of laundry, we were off to venture through the city. We wanted to find a grocery store and did, but it was a rather far distance away. Carrying the groceries home was rough. Luckily, we've now found a closer one. Before finding this one, we had been given directions to a grocery store by a guy at a local pizza stand/mini-mart. He tried to get us to get our groceries from there and even offered a discount. We told him we needed more and promised we'd be back another time for pizza.


Today we went back for that pizza we promised him, and he gave us a deal on our pizza! There were some other people in the place and he immediately turned his attention to us. Katie and I have plans to continue going to this stand every two to three days to increase this blossoming relationship. This evening we walked around our area found a mini-mart right down the street from us. We asked the guy for his recommendations on cheese, and he ended up giving us a discount, too! I sure hope my luck continues!

I'm finding in quite amazing and am in awe with all the ruins around me. It's fun just to walk and run into something famous like the Piazza Navona or the Pantheon. I haven't gone around Rome and toured like a tourist, yet. I'm pondering the idea if I even really want to. I think I might play with the idea of continuing to wander around the city to see what I find. If it gets close to the end and I haven't seen something, then I'll make an exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment