Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Why are you in Rome? Oh yeah, I'm taking classes...

Classes are officially in full swing and most are enjoyable! Here's the scoop about them:

Made in Italy: This is a class I have on Mondays about Italian design history. We have a project that involves drawing a lamp that we choose and draw from various angles to coordinate with our studio project. Overall, this is just a typical lecture class.

Mixed Media: I take a mixed media studio almost all day on Tuesday. My instructor, Brenda Jones, has so much wisdom and knowledge! She's been able to share a lot of pointers about Rome and always has a story to share. We'll be making a "scrapbook" in her class about our travels, a class mosaic, a water color painting, and maybe something else? Anyways, right now we just started our book. We had to buy a used book in which we'll transform the pages into telling a story about our travels. Our book is to be modeled off an artist from a list she gave us. I haven't quite narrowed down my options enough to decide.

Italian: I take an Italian class every Tuesday and Friday. The class is rough since we are speaking in Italian the whole time, but luckily, it is only a 3 week long class! The Italian is helpful, but my pronunciation is terrible. Definitely not my favorite class.

Studio: I have studio ALL day Wednesday (7 hours!) and for a few hours on Friday. This is a retail studio and our project is to create a lighting retail space. Not too sure of all the details of it yet since we're working on the project in steps. For the first part we had to study the interior of a picked/assigned retail space and then draw the floor plan in an isometric drawing. With the drawing, we raised two sides of the space and did some shading. I turned in my drawing on Friday, and already got my grade back-- first A of the semester!

Art History: I've only had this class once (last Thursday), but it just might be my favorite class of the semester. Instead of seeing slides and having a normal lecture about art history we actually go visit the sites and then talk about the pieces there! It is SOO cool and easier to remember the facts! Basically, I have a walking tour guide every Thursday for 4 hours; jealous, right? This week we are visiting the Roman Forum and inside the Colosseum. And after last week, I could talk about the Pantheon for at least an hour.

Overall, I haven't had much of a workload. Cross my fingers that it stays that way; I can dream can't I? I actually wouldn't mind them to pick up a little. I've been rather bored after classes are done for the day, and I'm tired of spending time on my computer. I know what your saying, "You're in Rome! How can you be bored?!" Well, we all know that I'm one to follow rules and be a good student :-) so the only time I've ventured around in the dark is on weekends. Plus I haven't figured out much to do on weekday evenings/nights. Yes, I could go to the bars, but that's rather expensive; I'd prefer to spend my money in other ways. So, in my evenings, I become glued to my computer checking anything and everything and watch a movie or show on YouTube (only way I know to watch US movies/shows overseas). I have a feeling, though, that my classes will be picking up and this routine will be changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment